Friday, February 20, 2009

Testing

The testing has begun. I have filled out a ton of paperwork and answered questions from "what type of discipline do you do in your home" to "did you have any complications with your pregnancy"
I know they need to rule out everything before they can find out what is going on with her but I feel like I am under a microscope. When I have people questioning me about EVERYTHING I begin to question myself. Did I cause this? Is my parenting so bad that I can not teach my child something simple like how to read?
But deep down I know something is not clicking inside her brain. I know that she is one smart cookie too. She just learns differently. She is not lazy, I am not a bad mothers. Both of things (lazy or having a bad mother) is something that would be "the reason" learning disorders existed 50 years ago. N

Nope, we know better now, thank heavens.

It is so hard to get people to understand what she (and I) are going through. Even hubby doesn't fully understand. He asks me why she is so bright when it comes to remembering things that she sees in movies or that I read to her in a book but she can not remember how to read a simple word. I don't have a simple answer. I only KNOW that it is not laziness.

The first round of testing was like a nightmare. It was terrible. We met the teacher/tester in a public library. There was many distractions. With her sensory problems it was a huge problem. She was also VERY uncomfortable. So shy that she didn't even dare say anything for the first 5 minutes. Then she only whispered the rest of the time. She refused to answer questions that I KNEW she knew the answer to.

This first round of testing was to test her accodemic process. There is no way that what happen in the library resulted in an accurate assisemnt of her intelagence.

1 comment:

The Leavitt Crew said...

Wow! What a trial. You are in our prayers.